9/11 - Ten Years On ...
See also 9/11 - Response and Aftermath in the light of ISIL.
In 'word' to America, is a message placed on the WWW 24 February 2001, only seven months before 9/11, which called upon the USA to repent.
In Why Did God Allow 9/11? is a suggestion that the USA should have repented for the evils that it was responsible for, particularly in relation to its "affluence, arrogance and unconcern for the poor".
In Trying to Gain God's Perspective on 9/11 (September 11th 2001) is a detailed, but clear, exposition of the Biblical theology behind this view, in tabular form.
Is the Living God is still calling on America to repent,
even though Osama Bin Ladin has now been killed?
Let us look briefly at what happened, and at the legacy it has left.
Instead of repenting, the Bush government decided to 'tough it out':
- Iraq War. The Bush government went into Iraq even though there were no weapons of mass destruction, even though the '45 minute' scare was based on palpably false 'intelligence'. They were determined to go in and 'do' Saddam Hussein.
- Agencies. All the agencies were told "Go, get 'em!" and all quality control and inter-agency integration was lifted. So it is no surprise to find, ten years later, that the agencies did some despicable things. Of course, each agency competed for funds and kudos.
- Iraq 'peace'. Because of its determination to do Saddam Hussein, they became blind to all else, and in particular failed to plan for the post-war situation until it was too late. Legacy: a broken country and much anti-West bitterness in the region that was not there before. Counterproductive, or what?!
- Afghanistan. By the time of the election, Iraq has become a toxic brand. Obama wanted to both distance himself from it yet also win the military vote, so went for the apparently 'safe' option of supporting action in Afghanistan, connected with hunt for Bin Ladin. Though successful in killing Bin Ladin, what price has been paid? Is not the Taliban more esconced in Afghanistan, especially in the hearts of its people, than before? Is not (nuclear-armed) Pakistan weakened and more unstable than before?
- Finance. USA went into huge debt. When a nation has an idolatrous commitment to a course of action, everything is sacrificed for it - including even the economy! USA had relatively low debts before 9/11 and was fiscally responsible - but after the decisions to 'tough it out', the debt soared. And now, ten years on, after the banking and economic crisis, the USA has been downgraded as a bad debtor.
- The Islamic State. (10 August 2014) Well-armed, well-financed, ISIL forces are overcoming many towns, cities and areas in Iraq and Syria, genociding Christians and others who have lived peacefully there for generations. ISIL want to build a 'Caliphate', an Islamic state. How did they come to such power?
Because the USA chose not to repent of its evil (see 2001 'word'), and its leaders chose not to lead the nation in repentance, they have left a more volatile Middle East, a greater bitterness towards the West, a more unstable 'Stan' region along with a financial crisis. Was it worth it?
When the Living God speaks, should we not listen and repent?
To send comments, queries, suggestions, please fill in the following and click 'Submit':
Thank you. This will send an email to me, to which I will endeavour to respond.
About This Page
Offered to God as on-going work, this page is designed to stimulate discussion on various topics, as part of Andrew Basden's pages that open up various things from one of the Christian perspectives.
Copyright (c) Andrew Basden at all the dates below. But you may use this material subject to certain conditions.
Written on the Amiga with Protext.
Created: 5 September 2011.
Last updated: 10 August 2014 ISIL, and name for form. 10 September 2014 9-11-response. 8 July 2015 new .end. 19 February 2017 request dashes.