Problems with New View
This page collects problems that are found, or might be found, in the New View. No system of thought is perfect or complete, and problems are inevitable. Usually, in a system of thought, it is only later that the most serious problems appear, and this new view has not yet had time to be tried, to be refined, to develop, to be applied widely enough for faults to become apparent. However, here are some possible faults that I think of from time to time. Many more will emerge.
- 'New View' likes to find new ways of seeing things, new ideas. Does it tend to over-welcome novelty for novelty's sake? Probably. On the other hand, perhaps some of the 'novelties' could be useful stimulants to thought. So I have tried to be sensitive to the danger and sometimes mention it where it might occur. The root of the problem probably lies in a fault in the author, of enjoying new ideas.
- Linked with that, there is a danger of over-reacting against current beliefs or views. It has been pointed out that perhaps the page on worship over-reacts.
- It has been suggested that there is too little about the church, the institution that embodies the culture infected with Christ. That is work still to be carried out - but I won't just react to that correct criticism to manufacture a view on the church. Instead, I'll probe more deeply, not presupposing there should be a single institution. This problem might arise from the emphasis in New View on God and creation (including humanity) rather than on institutions as they have arisen in history, or on authority structures. New View sees institutions and authority as part, but not a privileged part, of God's created order.
- NV does not give enough attention to God's passionate love directed to individual persons. I don't think this problem is endemic in New View. I think this can be overcome, but at present am not clear how.
- NV can sometimes sound like the establishment Churches in their calling on politicians and God to keep peace and justice and freedom from poverty in the world. The reason for this problem lies in the New View's emphasis on God's love for the creation that is other than him, which makes part of his will the full blessing of that creation. There are two differences.
- The establishment view is centred on the the world's agenda, the needs the establishment perceives at the moment, but it tends to ignore other things; the New View seeks to ascertain God's agenda, what God sees as important to his creation, which might not be what current opinion sees as important.
- The establishment view sees human or Divine action as the solution; the New View sees the bringing of these good as a result of the Holy Spirit working in God's people.
Please let me know of any problems you think of by filling in the following and click 'Submit':
This will send an email to me.
These pages present 'New View' theology. Comments, queries welcome.
Number of visitors to these pages: . Written on the Amiga with Protext.
Copyright (c) Andrew Basden 2008, but you may copy this page as long as every copy includes this full copyright notice, and the copying is not for financial gain.
Created: 3 November 2008.
Last updated: 28 April 2011 added three, and problems form. 1 May 2011 like establishment, and reasons for each problem.